This cheese ball is an excellent example. The original recipe comes from the October 2014 edition of Bon Appetit Magazine. Have you tried it yet? What a find. Perfect for an appetizer dish any time of the year. I brought one to a dinner party last Saturday night, and it got rave reviews. I did make a few tweaks to the original. I almost doubled the amount of cheddar cheese called for and added some spice with dried red and green chiles. One extra teaspoon of Worcestershire, a second scallion and the revisions were complete. I liked the changes but am posting the link to the original. Make them both and see which you prefer. Or make your own edits, the recipe is very forgiving.
I am making this again for Thanksgiving and adding to the buffet table. The cheese ball spread on bread or crackers will be an excellent addition to the rest of the meal. I will let you know the reaction. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Cheese Ball with Everything Spice
from Bon Appetit Magazine October 2014
2 ounces thick cut bacon, finely chopped (I used veg bacon today)
2 cups finely grated extra sharp cheddar
4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 scallions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons dried green chile
1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
½ cup extra virgin oil
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon poppy seed
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
Crackers (for serving)
Olives (for serving)
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until browned and crisp (6- 8 minutes) Transfer to paper towels to drain. Allow to come to room temperature.
- Process the cheddar, cream cheese, and butter in a food processor until smooth. Pulse in scallion, green chile, red pepper flakes, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and the bacon. Season with salt. Scrape mixture into a small plastic wrap–lined bowl; gather plastic around cheese, using your hands to shape into a ball. (The mixture will be very soft. Don't worry, it will firm up) Chill until firm, 3–12 hours.
- Just before serving, cook garlic in oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Add shallots to pan and cook, stirring often, until golden brown and crisp, 5–8 minutes. Drain on paper towels; let cool. Discard the oil. Mix the garlic and shallots in a medium bowl. Roll cheese ball in the mixture to coat. Sprinkle with poppy seed and sesame seeds, pressing lightly to adhere. Serve with crackers and olives.
It is "Thanksgiving sides" week at Food Network's Fall Fest
roundup. Check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends. Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving recipe? Please share in the comments section and/or link to your blog if you have one.
- Virtually Homemade: Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus with Goat Cheese
Feed Me Phoebe: Healthy Stuffed Mushrooms with Creamed Kale
The Heritage Cook: Maple Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Candied Pecans (Gluten-Free)
Jeanette's Healthy Living: 100 Healthy Holiday Side Dish Recipes
Devour: Winning Thanksgiving Side Dishes
The Lemon Bowl: Stuffed Acorn Squash with Chorizo and Farro
The Mom 100: Lentils and Carrots with Dried Apricots
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Maitake, Leek & Bacon Dressing
Weelicious: Vegan Whipped Coconut Sweet Potatoes
The Cultural Dish: Pumpkin Risotto
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Sweet Potato Biscuits
Red or Green: Cheese Ball with Everything Spice
Daisy at Home: Roasted Cranberry Pear Sauce
Swing Eats: Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Thyme and Rosemary
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Baby Lima Beans Salad with Bell Pepper and Pomegranate
Dishing With Divya: Ash Gourd Raita
Domesticate Me: 12 Easy and Impressive Thanksgiving Sides
The Wimpy Vegetarian: Scalloped Sweet Potatoes and Apples | #FallFest
Dishin & Dishes: Stuffin Muffins
- My best,DianeI have started sharing my "California Girl in Taos" blog. Please check it out and let me know what you think.
Term Paper Help Services firm is credible and have a good reputation for all your Custom Term Paper Writing Services and Term Paper Assignment Help Services.ReplyDelete