Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Chocolate, Almond & Ginger Cookies

I am pretty addicted to these cookies. Delicious, healthy and so very easy...One bowl, no mixer. The combination of almond and coconut flour delivers a very light and airy cookie. The intensity of dark chocolate and ginger adds spice and richness. Is very light and very rich contradictory? Whatever...that is the only way to describe the texture and taste.

I am on the board for the Taos affiliate of Habitat for Humanity. This year our annual fundraiser included a dessert table Silent Auction. I made an apple & pear crisp, cornmeal thumbprint cookies with chocolate ganache filling (shared over on my Napa Farmhouse 1885 blog) and the chocolate, almond and ginger cookies. I received rave reviews for everything which makes me so happy as "non-health lovers" loved these good-for-you treats. I hope you do too... Enjoy!



Chocolate, Almond & Ginger Cookies
(makes 24 cookies)

1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp ginger
1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
additional coconut sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

Combine first seven ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, stir to incorporate wet into dry. Dough will be very wet. Using your hands, form dough into small balls about 1 inch in diameter. Press the tines of a fork into the ball to flatten. (if cookies crack, press dough together with your fingers.) Sprinkle additional coconut sugar over cookies.

Bake in preheated oven for 8-9 minutes. Do not overcook. Cookies will harden after cooling. Remove from oven and cool 5 minutes on sheet. Place on wire racks until completely cool.

Other chocolate recipes you may enjoy:


It is "Cookies" week at Comfort Food Feast roundup. Check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends. Do you have a favorite cookie recipe? Feel free to share in the comments section or link to your blog if you have one. 

Jeanette's Healthy Living: Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Quinoa Oat Cookies
The Heritage Cook: Meyer Lemon Shortbread Cookies with Meyer Lemon Curd
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: French Palmiers
Weelicious: Homemade Oreo Cookies
Devour: Top 5 Chocolate Cookies
Taste With The Eyes: A Korean Sweet Treat - Hwa Jeon with Honey and Flower Petals
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Cornmeal Thumbprint Cookies with Chocolate Ganache Filling
Red or Green: Chocolate, Almond and Ginger Cookies
Domesticate Me: Healthy Dark Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookies with Cherries and Sea Salt 
Food for 7 Stages of Life: Rose and Cardamon Nankhatai (Eggless Indian Shortbread Cookies) 
Virtually Homemade: Oatmeal Caramel Skillet cookie with Marshmallows and Chocolate
The Sensitive Epicure: Almond Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free)
FN Dish: Cookie Comfort


best,
Diane
California Girl in Taos

Follow Me on Pinterest
I have started sharing my Taos experiences on my newest blog "California Girl in Taos". Please visit and let me know what you think.

6 comments:

  1. I love the combination of chocolate and ginger - two of the best flavors in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies are good, but stick together better if you make a "glue" of 1 Tbs chia with a few Tbs of hot water and add instead of the extra olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the recipe. it doesn't work at all for me.

    unfortunately the cookies didn't stick and harden at all, even though I only used 1/4 cup oil. so after cooling and NOT sticking/hardening I "crumbled" them (in fact they fell apart themselves) and kneaded them together again. this time I added one mashed banana, some agave sirup (1 tbsp) and some popped amaranth. I baked them at 350 for 20 minutes. PERFECT!

    best regards, ginette

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe is amazing, i made Portuguese Yolk Cheese Cupcakes and is very good to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I think this is an altered recipe. The original called for an egg, and somebody replaced it with olive oil, which can't hold anything together. Next time I try this I'll just use the egg. I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete