Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Oven Fried Tortilla Chicken Drumsticks

The food styling is in homage to Gourmet...not as good, but I tried!
I found this recipe years ago in the late, great Gourmet Magazine and it has become a family favorite. Quick, easy and delicious, this oven fried chicken dish is perfect for weeknights or weekend entertaining. It is a staple when we have guests with children and...best of all... the serving size can easily be increased for as large of a gathering as you want.

The secret to the crunch is ground corn tortilla chips. They are pulsed in a food processor (or crushed with a rolling pin) and mixed with savory seasonings like chili powder and cumin. I tweaked the original recipe a tiny bit by adding cilantro and parsley to the tortilla mixture. The chicken is coated with the mix and then baked in the oven at high heat. Super simple.

Gourmet recommended serving the dish with oven fries made with russet potatoes and a chili lime mayo/sour cream dip. Again, my small edits include swapping the white potatoes with sweet potatoes and using a vegan mayonnaise (Vegenaise) because I prefer the taste. The recipe calls for drumsticks, but any cut will work, just adjust the cooking time accordingly. Oh...here is a tip...the coating also works really well with pan fried fish. I used trout last night, but try it with your favorite. Enjoy! And thank you Gourmet...many of your recipes have become standards in my home...


Tortilla Chicken Drumsticks
from Gourmet Magazine 2009
(serves 4 as a main course)

8 oz lightly salted corn tortilla chips*
4 teaspoons chili powder, divided
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 large egg
2 1/2 lb chicken drumsticks (about 10)
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle. Oil a large rimmed sheet pan.
Pulse chips, 2 tsp chili powder, cumin,cilantro, parsley and 1/4 tsp salt in a food processor until coarsely ground, then transfer to a shallow dish.
Whisk egg and remaining 2 tsp chili powder in a bowl.
Season chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Dip drumsticks in egg, letting excess drip off, then coat with crumbs, pressing to help them adhere. Transfer to sheet pan.
Bake, without turning, until cooked through, 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand, uncovered, 5 minutes.

* to keep this recipe gluten free, look for corn tortilla chips labeled gluten free


Vegan Cilantro-Lime Dip
1 cup vegan mayo (I like the Vegenaise brand)
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
2 tsp lime zest
1 tbsp white onion, minced
1 tbsp lime juice
1/4 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients together and serve as a dipping sauce for the chicken and potatoes.

It is "Chicken" week at Comfort Food Feast roundup. Check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends. Do you have a favorite chicken recipe? Feel free to share in the comments section or link to your blog if you have one. 

Jeanette's Healthy Living: Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili with Green Chilies
The Heritage Cook: Gluten-Free Fried Chicken Cutlets with Madeira Gravy
Weelicious: Roast Chicken with Caramelized Lemons
Devour: Giada's Top Chicken Dinners
Taste With The Eyes: Griddled Gochujang Chicken Sandwich, "Kimchi" Slaw and Seaweed Mayo
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Italian Chicken Stew with Olives and Kale
Red or Green?: Oven-Fried Tortilla Chicken Drumsticks
Blue Apron Blog: 5 Not Boring Weeknight Chicken Recipes
Virtually Homemade: Chicken Puttanesca
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Spicy Deep Fried Chicken
Domesticate Me: Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders with Sriracha Honey Mustard (Gluten-Free!)
Dishing with Divya: Couscous with Chicken and Vegetables
In Jennie's Kitchen: How to Roast a Chicken
FN Dish: Winning Chicken Dinners

best,
Diane
California Girl in Taos

Follow Me on Pinterest
I have started sharing my Taos experiences on my newest blog "California Girl in Taos". Please visit and let me know what you think.

33 comments:

  1. I love this recipe and cannot wait to make it! So easy and I'm sure full of flavor. Thank you for giving us another way to make healthier oven-fried chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane,
    I hope you give the recipe a try. If so, please let me know what you think.
    best,
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to say green chiles! I've never thought to crush tortilla chips for a recipe. This is a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish! I have been trying making fish and chips on the weekend with batter, so these are some good options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is looks very interesting. My hubby loves spicy foods and trying new things.. this will be going on the gotta try list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering looking at those pictures. I think my little one will get a kick out of crushing the chips for me! I'm pinning this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm I love sweet potato oven 'fries' - and with chicken, too.

    Stopping by from the SITS Girls today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by for #SITSblogging. I'm not a fan of spicy food but I have learned to appreciate a tiny bit of chili pepper and cumin in certain recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, the chicken is not spicy but you can eliminate the chili powder if you wish...still delicious!

      Delete
  9. Love the idea of using the tortilla chips as coating for the chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Vegan Cilantro-Lime Dip sounds divine! What a fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never knew that adding crushed tortilla chips would add crunchiness to the dish. Will try it out.
    Stopping by from SITS Challenge !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm drooling over everything but the dip sounds ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy!!! I adore dishes where they call for something other than basic breading for the chicken... chips are a fantastic idea! I'm really wanting to try the sweet potato fries though... they are on my list now! Dropping in from SITS girls!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YuM! This looks super delicious. I'm glad it works with other cuts because I am not a dark meat fan. I think the swap for sweet potatoes is always a good idea! Dropping by from SITS girls!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea of a healthy "fried" chicken. The use of tortillas also makes this very easy and fun recipe. I think I might try making this with the boys - they would love all of the dipping and rolling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm trying to eat more healthy and this looks like the perfect recipe to sub for fried chicken! Looks yummy, can't wait to try it! Visiting from SITS :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd never thought to use tortilla chips as a coating. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! That's a great way to use up all the bits at the bottom of the tortilla chips bag, too. I think it would be great on tilapia and other kinds of fish, too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would of never thought to use tortilla chips, love your idea! Dropping by from SITS girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wouldn't have thought of using tortillas. Sounds like a good idea to have some slightly different flavours in and something different. Might try these. #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  21. It must be chicken day! Every post I have visited has been an amazing chicken recipe that I can't wait to to try. This one is no exception! Soon yummy looking!
    Elle

    -coming from the Comment Love Tribe

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is something I have never seen. I love seeing recipes take a whole new direction. I'll definitely try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My husband would love these! Delish! Thanks! <3 from #SITS

    ReplyDelete
  24. I super love this as a topping on pan fried fish! The trout sounds amazing -- and so does that cilantro sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh that looks tasty! Thank goodness I'm just now eating dinner. Otherwise I'd have to go make myself another meal.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nom, nom, nom this looks soo good

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks wonderful! New visitor from #SITSblogging. I think I'm going to try this one out on some zucchini and squash. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm loving the dip action you got going on over here! The drumsticks look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh these look good and like something my kids would eat!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The roasted sweet potato fries look delish. I am a big sweet potato fan!

    #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love to use alternative ingredients to coat meat!! This is perfect for the leftover broken chips at the bottom of the bag. #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete