Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pizza with Green Chile, Chicken & Cheese (gluten free)


I love green chile. In New Mexico we eat it on everything! So, tonight I decided to recreate a beloved dish, Green Chile & Chicken Stew, and turn it into the toppings for pizza. So...New Mexico green chile sauce, roasted chicken, heirloom tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, extra sharp cheddar cheese and toasted pine nuts served on a gluten free pizza crust. How good does that sound?
New Mexican Green Chile Sauce

These toppings would be delicious on any type of pizza crust. If gluten free is not your thing, try the cornmeal crust over at my Napa Farmhouse 1885 blog. But for this recipe I decided to experiment with a purchased gluten free version.

I have so many friends who are gluten free...either because they have celiac disease or just because they feel better after giving up wheat. When I entertain I try to ensure I have choices for everyone. So I found frozen gluten free pizza dough at my local organic market and used it for this recipe. I bought an 8 oz package of udis gluten free pizza crusts and kept my fingers crossed. I was pleasantly surprised with the result. The crust was thin, crispy, and tasted really good. A tad bit sweet but not overdone. I did not tell my husband in advance that this was a "gluten-free" pizza as I did not want to invite prejudice and he LOVED the final result. Full disclosure, I usually try to avoid purchasing products with added sugar and this product contains dried cane syrup and cultured corn syrup solids. For that reason I don't think I would purchase again for me...but, once in a while, if you need to avoid wheat and are craving pizza, this one is delicious. I think my next step will be to experiment with making homemade gluten free pizza dough. If you have any recipes you love please let me know in the comments section of this post.

Now, back to the pizza.  The toppings quantities are approximate. Add more or less of your favorites. The amounts listed worked for the two udi's crusts. *Note, the package instructs you to bake for 5-7 minutes. My pizzas took twenty minutes in a preheated 375 degree oven to get crispy and brown. So check your oven often during the cooking time. Enjoy!

Pizza with Green Chile, Chicken & Cheese (gluten free)
1 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup green chile sauce (recipe follows)
2 cups roasted chicken (shredded)
1 large yellow heirloom tomato, chopped
4 sun dried tomatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slivers
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted in a dry skillet until light brown
1 8 oz package udi's gluten free pizza crusts (containing 2 pizzas) or your favorite homemade or purchased pizza dough
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Spread 3/4 cups cheese evenly on each pizza crust. Divide the remaining ingredients between each pizza. Using a pastry brush, "paint" the naked crusts with olive oil. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes checking oven frequently after the first 5 minutes (*See note above)
Cut each pizza into quarters and serve immediately.

Green Chile Sauce
(makes 3 cups)

This sauce is wonderful as a dip with tortilla chips, as a topping for eggs, burritos, nachos,enchiladas, shrimp or meatloaf. Try on hamburgers. You will find many ways to use the leftovers!

2 tbsp extra virgin oil oil
1 leek chopped, white & green parts
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp pure cornstarch
sea salt
black pepper
1 1/2 cups New Mexican roasted green chile (fresh or* frozen) skin removed, seeded & chopped chopped (about 15 whole chiles) (see resources)
1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock (homemade or organic boxed)
1 tsp dried chile caribe or dried red chile flakes
1 tsp ground coriander

*if using frozen green chiles, defrost and drain before use

Add olive oil and leeks to medium saucepan set over medium high heat.. Saute for 5 minutes until softened and beginning to caramelize. Add the garlic and 1 tbsp corn starch and saute for another minute. Season with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper.

Add the green chile, stock, chile caribe and coriander to saucepan. Stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. At the end of the cooking time, check consistency. If you would like a thicker sauce add the additional tbsp of cornstarch stirring in until dissolved. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.

Another pizza recipe you may enjoy:

It is "Pizza" week at Comfort Food Feast roundup. Check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends. Do you have a favorite pizza recipe? Feel free to share in the comments section or link to your blog if you have one. 

The Heritage Cook: Gluten-Free Pizza Crust and Homemade Pizza Sauce
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Easy Turkey Taco Pizza
Devour: Top 5 Pizzas Without Sauce
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Pepperoni Pizza Puffs
Weelicious: Pizza Balls
Dishin & Dishes: Iron Skillet Chicken Pesto Pizza
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Pizza with Sun-Dried Tomato, Red Pepper and Corn
Red or Green: Pizza with Green Chile, Chicken and Cheese (Gluten-Free)
Virtually Homemade: Individual Cheese Quesadilla Pizzas
Domesticate Me: Grilled Pita Pizza with Prosciutto, Chanterelles, Arugula and a Fried Egg
Food for 7 Stages of Life: No Yeast Pizza Dough
In Jennie's Kitchen: Easy, Homemade Pizza Dough
The Blue Apron Blog: Our Favorite Pizza Toppings
The Sensitive Epicure: Mini Deep Dish Polenta Pizzas (Gluten-Free)
FN Dish: Homemade Pizza Comfort by the Slice

best,
Diane
California Girl in Taos

Follow Me on Pinterest
I have started sharing my Taos experiences on my newest blog "California Girl in Taos". Please visit and let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. HOW did you know I've gone gluten-free AND was craving pizza?!? :)

    Looks amazing and I hope to find that Udi's product this weekend during my weekly shopping trip. I've tried Bob's Red Mill brand and really enjoyed it but had to shape it myself and it was a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a pizza topping! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It’s really amazing. It’s great pleasure to get a chance to comment on such an informative blog. Thanks for sharing and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this recipe, thank you! What do you think of this: villaromanaliverpool.co.uk

    ReplyDelete