Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Apple & Green Chile Crustless Pie

OK, I am now a true New Mexican in that I have a freezer full of roasted green chile!  It is chile season and, all over New Mexico and Southern Colorado, chiles are being roasted in huge barrels everywhere you look. I cannot describe the scent; I can only say roasting chiles smell amazing.  We bought a bushel full last weekend and I am now on a mission to find as many recipes as possible to use up the bounty.  One idea...apple & green chile pie.

I know you may be thinking...EEK!, but I did not make this up.  I have been reading recipes for this pie for years.  I couldn't decide if I loved or hated the idea.  So, when I heard it was apple week for the first week of Food Network's Fall Fest, I decided to experiment.  I settled on the just the pie filling topped with toasted nuts and served with ice cream.  Guess what?  Delicious.

The green chile adds a wonderful savory note to the typical apple pie taste and the hint of heat with the sweetness of coconut sugar & agave nectar is a wonderful complement.  The spices and vanilla ice cream pull everything together. What an unexpected treat.  Next time I will add this to a pie crust.  My new fall dessert.  Can't wait to make this for my California friends and family.


Apple & Green Chile Crustless Pie
(adapted from the New York Times Apple-Green Chili Pie recipe 11/16.2010)
4 large granny smith apples, cored and cut into 1 inch wedges
4 roasted green New Mexican chiles, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tbsp agave nectar
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
pinch sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for pie pan
ice cream for serving

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9 or 10 inch pie plate with olive oil and set aside.

Add apples, green chiles, lemon juice and agave to large bowl and stir together.  Sprinkle coconut sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt & pepper over apples and stir to mix.  Pour into prepared pie pan.  Sprinkle nuts over apple mixture. Drizzle olive oil over nuts.

Place in preheated oven and bake for 40-60 minutes until apples are soft when pierced with a sharp knife.  If nuts begin to brown too much cover with foil.  Remove from oven and allow to cool to warm.  Serve topped with vanilla or caramel ice cream.  I like to drizzle some of the apple pan juices over the ice cream.  Enjoy!




It is "apples" week at Food Network's Fall Fest roundup. Check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends. Do you have a favorite apple recipe? Share in the comments section and/or link to your blog if you have one. 
The Lemon Bowl: Whole Grain Pancakes with Warm Apple Topping
In Jennie's Kitchen: Homemade Apple Breakfast Bars
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Almost Crusted Cinnamon Apple Grilled Cheese
Dishing With Divya: Fresh Apple Salsa
Virtually Homemade: Potato Apple Gratin
Weelicious: Apple Almond Cake
Dishin & Dishes: Kale Waldorf Salad (A Healthy Recipe Redo)
Domesticate Me: Apple Cinnamon Baked Doughnut Holes
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Applesauce with Maple and Cinnamon
Red or Green: Apple and Green Chile Crustless Pie
The Sensitive Epicure: Toaster Oven Cinnamon Apple and Walnut Muffins with Almond Flour and Maple Syrup 
And Love It Too: Apple Pie Cookies
Taste With The Eyes: The Culinary Legend of Apple Tarte Tatin
The Heritage Cook: Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
FN Dish: Early Morning Apple Recipes


My best,
Diane
california girl in taos
Follow Me on Pinterest
I have started sharing my taos experiences on my newest blog "California Girl in Taos". Please visit and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment