Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Spiced Peach Daiquiri

We are still about a week away from summer fruit being ripe here in Taos. We had a long, cold spring and everything is late but once August comes peaches, apricots, plums, chokecherries and cherries will be abundant. Last Saturday was the first week for cantaloupe (from Rocky Ford, best ever) and they tell me they think watermelon will be ready next week.  I cannot wait.

I love peaches and, when they are in season, eat them almost daily.  Fresh, out of hand are the best but added to salads, or ice cream, or pie, or cobblers or crisps run a close second.  And, when the days are ever so hot, nothing beats frozen peach daiquiris.  Cooling, refreshing, delicious...what could be better?

For my version I freeze the peaches so that I can add less ice.  This provide a more intense "peachy" flavor. I use a bit of agave nectar to add a hint of sweetness.  I think this is better than adding white sugar.  Taste your peaches before adding the agave.  If they are super sweet you may not need it at all.  I also like to drizzle a bit of spiced rum on top of the drink.  This adds a bit of spice, obviously, and keeps the drink from being overly sweet.  Enjoy and Happy August!

Spiced Peach Daiquiri
(makes 2)
3/4 cup ice
2 oz light rum
2 peaches, unpeeled, pitted, quartered & frozen
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp agave nectar
1 oz spiced rum
Add ice to blender carafe, cover and use highest speed to crush.  Add peaches, light rum, lime juice and agave nectar. Blend until smooth and slushy.  Pour into cocktail glasses.  Drizzle 1/2 oz spiced rum over top of each drink.  Serve.

It is "peaches" week at Food Network's Summerfest roundup. Check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends. Do you have a favorite peach recipe?  Share in the comments section and/or link to your blog if you have one:
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Peach Kiwi Salsa
Chez Us: Upside Down Peach Bourbon Cake
The Heritage Cook: Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Filling

Virtually Homemade: Peach Cobbler Muffins
Made By Michelle: Mint Peach Popsicles
Taste With The Eyes: The BLP Sandwich (Bacon, Lettuce and Peach)
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Healthy Peach Crisp Smoothie
Red or Green: Spiced Peach Daiquiri
Feed Me Phoebe: Peach Lassi
Domesticate Me: Grilled Halibut Tacos with Peach Salsa
Weelicious: Kenya's Peach Cake
Blue Apron Blog: Seared Trout with Peach and Arugula Salad
The Sensitive Epicure: Grilled Peaches with Greek Yogurt, Honey, Lime Zest and Vanilla Daily*Dishin: Blackberry Cheesecake with Fresh Peach Topping
Devour: Chia Seed Pudding with Peaches
FN Dish: 5 Unsung Sides of the Summer Peach

My best,
Diane
california girl in taos

Follow Me on Pinterest

i have started sharing my taos experiences on my newest blog"california girl in taos". please visit and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Peach daiquiri was one of my go-to drinks in college; felt so grown up. Love the use of spicy rum with the peaches

    ReplyDelete